Canadian Down Under

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hockey

I hear that’s a four letter word in Canada right now, but you know how I like to stomp where angels fear to tread….

But that’s not what I’m writing about today. Today, I’m defending hockey, and here’s why:

Travel legend has it, the easiest way to insult a Canadian is to call them American, but I disagree. (For the record, I am not insulted if called American, but I will correct people if they call me American. Why? Not because I’m ashamed of anything/everything American, but because I’m proud to be Canadian. Just as I suspect many Americans would prefer not to be called Canadian – contrary to some news reports I’ve seen lately…)

The greatest insult to a Canadian? Being asked "so do you like/watch/play/(insert any verb you like here) ice hockey.

Newflash: hockey is played on ice. If a derivative of the game is played on any other type of surface, then the type of surface is denoted prior to the word hockey. For example, hockey played on a field surface becomes ‘field hockey’. Likewise, hockey played on tarmac surface or road becomes ‘road hockey’.

Hockey played on ice is called hockey. Not ice hockey. Just hockey.

2 Comments:

  • Amen.

    By Blogger theduckthief, at 9:15 AM  

  • Sorry but hockey is actually what you would call field hockey and has been around as a sport longer than ice hockey and has a greater worldwide participation. Im glad you enjoy your ice hockey.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home