Canadian Down Under

Friday, May 22, 2009

My Ferry Friend

When you travel the same ferry every day to and from work - you end up with ferry friends: people you see every day, you say hello, maybe even talk about the weather - yet, you hardly ever know their names despite having enacted this ritual for years.

I have a 5 minute friend. We joke about it. We talk for the 5 minutes it takes us to get off the ferry and walk out of the terminal - at which point we walk our own ways. In reality - we're probably more like 3 minute friends. The other day, I randomly ended up beside him on the ferry - and after 30 seconds, he turned to his paper and I turned to my studying - because there was no way we'd be able to sustain a 20 minute conversation. 5 would have been pushing it - however, we did manage the 3 minute chat once disembarking again.

Then the other day I ran into one of my other ferry friends. Again, I ended up randomly beside him - actually had to ask him to let me in the row. Didn't realise it was him until he looked up - so said hello. Talked about the weather, and the again, read the paper kind of stuff. And today it happened again and I was so surprised it was him when he looked up that I blurted out "You again!"

He laughed and then suggested that running into each other like this was a sign that I was stalking him. That early in the morning its pretty hard to generate any energy for an inflammatory remark - even one like that, so all I could summon up in response was "Yeah", latent with dry sarcasm.

He laughed as he moved for me to sit down and then added, "Well, that would be fair enough considering I stalked you all last year."

Hmmm.

I told him that I'd been too tired and hadn't noticed. Then he turned to his paper and I turned to my studying.

Nothing like a little flirting to start the day!!

I really like my ferry friends - even if I don't know their names.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home