Canadian Down Under

Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Kindness of Strangers

Well, maybe not exactly strangers - but this week has been full of little unexpected pockets of kindness and caring. It's often the little things that count - and I must say - its gone a long way towards restoring my faith in humanity.

These last two weeks have been hard. I've been dumped, ignored, cried at work, eaten far too much junk food and been completely overwhelmed by all the change that's happening in my life. I know that that's a pretty strange list- but its pretty much the things I hate to have happen to me.. End result - it wasn't hard to tell I was feeling pretty down. What amazes me is that in times like this - how people can surprise you. Good and bad.

The bad? The people you trust or rely on -just aren't there. Even worse, they're not only not supportive - they actually kick you when you're down. And sadly, that's happened this week - but I must say - the good has far outweighed the bad.

So what's been good?
- An unexpected phone call from a friend back home. A friend that spent an hour with me on the phone after he realised I was feeling down. An hour spent saying positive and encouraging things to me inbetween listening to how I was feeling - instead of the usual sarcastic banter which is our usual way of relating

- A phone call with my brother that ended with an awkward brotherly offer of being willing to listen to me cry or vent anytime I wanted - this from the same brother who runs at the merest hint of tears... (note -I hadn't been crying to him on the phone, but he offered just the same)

- A mother who offered to fly me home so I wasn't alone at Christmas - even though the cost far exceeded what she could have afforded - but an offer that she would have come through on if I had agreed.

- Friends who live overseas that have checked in - unprompted - to see how I am

and most recently,

- A lunch invitation from someone I didn't know very well, but from someone who spotted that I was less chipper than usual. Someone who wanted to listen, someone without a hidden agenda, someone with similar experiences and really good advice.

So, although it hasn't been easy - and I am sad - I do realise that I am extremely lucky. I have a family that will always be there for me no matter what, good friends who don't let distance weaken a friendship and acquaintances that are turning into friendships.

The kindness of strangers (friends, family). What a difference it can make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home