Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Spitting the Dummy

I was talking to a friend from back home the other day and in passing, used the phrase "I spit the dummy."

I think I've become slightly Australianized - because it wasn't until my friend interrupted me and asked "what does that mean", that I realised I've adopted a new phrase over and above the "no worries" that I've been using for the last few years.

So I explained: "its like when a baby spits the dummy" and then continued on as though that was all settled.

Until today.

Today I realised that my explanation probably still didn't help clear it up. "spit the dummy" is something a baby does - but the key that's missing to decipher that is that a 'dummy' is a pacifier. So 'spitting the dummy' is when a baby spits out the pacifier and has a full cry/whine/grumble.

So 'spitting the dummy' is like having a mini tanty.

Ughh - still way too Australianized!!! 'Tanty' means tantrum.....

All clear??

2 Comments:

  • That's a great phrase! I like, "throw the toys out of the pram." Do they have that one there?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 AM  

  • Okay I'm going to go throw a wobbly. I'll be back later after I've calmed down.

    xo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home