Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I thought I was crazy....

..but apparently I'm not. It is possible to hurt the bottom of your feet.

Seriously - my feet hurt when I get up. By hurt I mean, I have trouble walking on them without excruciating pain. Its at its worst in the early morning (no rushing to the bathroom - its an old age hobble....) but it tends to ease as the day goes on.

But I managed to make it oh so worse this week.

See - my plan for my unemployment is to do the things I really love that I never had time for while I was working. So one piece of that plan is to get exercising. I even wrote out a schedule - and it generally involves exercising twice a day. So not long and arduous exercise at first... need to get back into the grove without hurting myself... however, it appears that even that little bit is causing a bit of a problem.

Now my feet have been hurting for a couple of months - but this week they've wratcheted up a notch (I'm pretty sure I spelt that wrong, however, I don't seem to care enough to fix it....). Seems that a long walk in bad shoes could be the cause of what I have now. Basically I've torn the fascia muscle that attaches my achilles to the bottom of my foot.

Not understand?

Neither do I really. Can't fathom how I could do this one - but it means I need to be off my feet - and no more thongs or bare feet!!

Fuck. I'm finally unemployed and can go barefoot and then I'm told I can't!!!!!

grumble, grumble, grumble.

Oh well - off to my first ice foot bath.

It will be fun to track how many different and weird injuries I can come up with over the next few months as I try to get back into shape....

2 Comments:

  • Interestingly, I have come across a similar problem with my feet. All throughout my teenage years in Mexico I wasn't the greatest of athletes but was still quite fit, albeit quite skinny. I moved to Sydney about two years ago and became more physically active, and that's when the problems rose. I realized that I am not capable of running as fast my friends. And just a few months ago I did a very long trek near Manly, and my feet starting hurting real bad. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. They kept hurting for a while. So I went to see a doctor, and the guy told me I had flat feet. At twenty years of age and of being quite sure of how my body is and works, I had no idea I had flat feet. Now I have to wear pads in my shoes, and the problem comes and goes. Right now it has become a real pain whenever I walk or run long distances, even if I wear the pads. This is bad... I'd better see the doctor again asap. :(

    By Blogger Newoz, at 8:35 PM  

  • The same with me. My feet only started to hurt in Australia! However, I went to a podiastrist who measured me for inserts which I've installed in one pair of walking shoes. They have really helped me a lot and in fact now, when my feet do hurt, a walk in the shoes with inserts will usually put them right. Now that it's summer, I've gone back to flip flops and everything seems okay so far.

    By Blogger Laureen, at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home