Canadian Down Under

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Happy Australia Day!

It's amazing how having a job makes you take note of important events. I mean last year I was in Australia but had no idea that January 26th was Australia Day until I asked some stranger what the fireworks were about. (Hey, when you're unemployed - every day is a holiday!)

But this year was different - I have a job so this year I knew it was a holiday. Why? Because I had the day off.

Not only was it a day off - it was a sunny day off (and I must say - that's pretty unusual this summer - it's been raining every weekend....) - and for a change - I had plenty offers of things to do: picnic in the botanical gardens, kayaking in the harbour, reading on the beach... I chose kayaking on the beach but by the time we got organised, a book on the beach seemed just as good.

And it was even better. Lying on my back for Chapter 1. Lying on my stomach for Chapter 2. Some body surfing in the waves. Then a repeat of the above.

Bliss.

And then all of that followed by traditional Aussie fare: prawns, prawns and more prawns. (Read shrimp you Canadians out there...) Cold prawns, hot prawns, barbecued prawns. Yum. Oh yeah - and salad - now back to the prawns.... Yum.

Hmmm, I think Australia's starting to grow on me again... Actually - come to think of it - after all those prawns, maybe it's me that's starting to grow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home