Canadian Down Under

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Bored

It's my second last week at work - and although I have tons of work to do - I am bored.

Bored. Bored. Bored.

I think company's requiring four weeks notice a very dangerous thing. You end up with people like me who generally are fairly bright (myself being a small exception...) who either have nothing to do or no desire to do the mounds of work they're suppose to do - or both. (The latter actually describing myself.)

What ends up happening are things like this:
  • While meeting with group executive you actually say what you're thinking - ie. No Bill, the reason I got sugar for the coffee you asked me to order for you is not because I'm psychic, but because I figured if there was anyone in this world who needed sweetening it was you.
  • You make jokes that are funny only to you. ie. suggesting backpacker hostels as potential accommodation facilities instead of the Marriott in order to curb travel expenses
  • You reach expert level on the Mah Jong on-line computer game
  • You go to meetings and when people started telling you their sob stories as to why they can't meet your deadlines you tell them you don't care. When they try to tell anyway - you then interrupt them and tell them 'I don't care' repeatedly until people on the conference call line start laughing and the person in question finally gets that you really mean you don't care.
  • You spend half your day going around telling people you're leaving - then spend the other half telling them why.

Personally, I think it would have been far more productive to the company just to have paid me out. Too bad I couldn't sell them on that one....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home