Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Dating Scene

I don't know if you can actually call it a 'dating scene'. It was a 'scene' alright - but within moments of starting a conversation - it had so far blown past anything I would remotely call dating....

I was out the other night with a few girlfriends for dinner. One of the girls was talking to a friend - who was talking to more friends - and word on the line was that there were some single men going to be at one of the local pubs. So, a nice evening evening with the girls with some wine and a karaoke machine turned into a full-out predatory hunt for single men.

Although the usual MO for someone who has recently come out of a relationship is to be on the hunt - I am still at the stage where just hanging out with the girls is enough. However, sometimes you just have to go with the flow. So off we went: six single women in their mid-30's in search of a specific group of single men. (After writing that sentence - all I can think is 'cougar'.)

We met up with them at the Skiff Club and introductions all around. I went and got a drink from the bar and came back and sat at the only seat available. Luckily for me, the guy I was sitting beside was quite amusing and I was having quite a good time- joking around, laughing - then he told me I was kind of cute. Although I wasn't really out to pick anyone up - I was flattered and I figured it was all pretty harmless.

Until he tried to hold my hand.

Then he asked me back to his place.

What's up with that?

I gotta tell you - I was shocked. This all happened in the space of about 20 minutes. I said no - and then the group moved on to a place called The Boatshed where there was some dancing. I was goofing around on the dance floor with one of the other girls when he grabbed me and said it was time to go.

Not.

As the crowd started to dwindle, I figure it was about time for me to go home. Guy in question asked me back once again - to which I said no - then he asked if he could come back to my place - same answer - then he asked if he could at least walk me home. After all that? Not a chance.

I don't know who behaved worse - the girls that I was out with or the men we met up with. If this is what dating and the singles scene is going to be like in Australia - forget it. I'm remaining single.

2 Comments:

  • Bleah. Boys are icky. It may just be an international thing.

    By Blogger jexebel, at 3:37 AM  

  • Well, I'm in my mid-30s, too, and have been out of the dating scene for 15 years (happily married, thank God), but gosh, it sounds like not much has changed... even a continent away. *shakes her head at the pushy guy in the story*

    I'm sure not ALL guys in Australia are that bad, though, because I know a terrific one there (who's also single, incidentally, lol). But anyway, best of luck with the "scenery". Just from reading your blog and sort of "knowing" you here, I'd say you have every right to be picky and say a lot of NOs until you find a guy who's worthy of any kind of a yes from you!

    Take care. :)

    By Blogger Mary, at 5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home