Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Australian Commercials

Usually they're pretty good, but there's this one.....

It starts off with this sappy music, a prim woman sitting a living room chair and she says "Love. Commitment. Marriage." And the words scroll across the screen in frilly girly font (it's the only way I can describe it..)

The next thing the woman says is "Well, now that we've gotten the men of the room, let's talk about thrush."

Ugggh. Do I really have to watch this?????

Firstly - how condescending/sexist is it that men run screaming from the room because of the words: love, commitment or marriage?? In my experience, I've seen more women run at those words than men.... I know it's meant to be funny, but really, its not. How is that funny when mixed with the subject of thrush?

(For those non-Australians out there - thrush is a vaginal yeast infection)

Personally? I want to run from the room when that commercial is on. Why? Well, first off - if I'm watching a show about crime scene investigation - or say American Idol - I'm not really in the mood to listen to someone's thoughts on thrush... But also because the woman is so annoying with how she 'conspiratorially' chuckles over how the men are all gone. And what's with the girly font? Never mind the effect the words love, commitment and marriage seem to have on me...

Mostly Australian ads are pretty funny, but man - this one should be put to death early....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home