Canadian Down Under

Thursday, August 04, 2005

It's all about smell

Pilates class was an experience the other night - and no, I'm not going to go on and on about the drama of exercising in front of mirrors and how badly that damages my self-esteem - it was something completely different.

It was all about smell. And I'm not talking about body odour smell, I'm talking about people smell.

Okay, I admit that my usually absent olfactory senses go into overdrive if I am anywhere near getting a migraine, but this was unmistakable.

I've only ever noticed it a couple of times, but there are a breed of people out there that have a peculiar smell to them and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. And no - it's not an ethnic or racial thing. The few people that I've noticed this about have all been 20-30 year old white females, but I can't figure out why. All I can say is: it's not good.

Don't they notice?

I know, I know - this is a very strange thing to write about - but smell is one of those things that can be really disturbing. Heavily perfumed people drive me nuts, bad breath also drives me round the bend - but those things are fixable (generally) - even bad BO can be solved with a good deodorant. But basic human scent? (or the 'natural musk' of a person as I've jokingly referred to it as…) How do you fix that? How do you tell someone theirs is bad? How do you know that yours is not?

Just one more thing to add to the list of inane things I think about…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home