Canadian Down Under

Monday, August 08, 2005

"Smart men know that women will settle for whatever they get"

What????

This was supposed to be an article about how the media's portrayal of women in Hollywood has raised men's expectations of what an acceptable female partner should look like. Indeed, how it's potentially raised expectations beyond what is realistic. Overall the article was okay, made an interesting point (showed some men to be the buffoons that they are) until the last statement:
"smart men know that women will settle for whatever they get."


Granted - it's a quote from a man they were interviewing (who hopefully remains single for the rest of his life as punishment for his unbelievable egotistical, sexist remark - or at least never gets laid again during his remaining years at university, scratch that - who never get laid again ever), but putting it at the end of the story like that suggests that the author agrees.

At first I thought the author was a man - but I just went back and checked and unless Grace has become a man's name since I last checked - it was a woman who actually wrote this.

Besides the fact that I find such a statement very offensive, it's so patently untrue. If it were - why are there so many single women out there? I mean, I'm well-educated, have a good job, shower regularly, have no obvious scars/issues/deformities of any kind that might make finding a 'mate' difficult. I've had options yet I'm still single!

Why? Because I wouldn't do what the article suggests: settle. And I'm not alone. I have plenty of smart, single, attractive female friends who would like to be with someone, but just not anyone. We all agree that 'forever' can be an eternity if spent in the wrong company.

What would have made the article more interesting is a physical description of the guy who wants an 'Angelina Jolie' type as his girlfriend. My uninformed guess would be that this guy is not the equivalent of, say a 'Brad Pitt' (I know, I know - but I'm not going there at the moment...) yet he assumes that he would be able to get and keep an Angelina Jolie. I'm sure this isn't just an isolated case, because I've seen the same behaviour in male friends of mine.

I know relationships and love have to be based on more than just the physical - and in fact have dated men that at first glance were not attractive, but on getting to know them were some of the most handsome men I've ever met - but it still plays a large part of the first pull of attraction. What I mean to say is, that while it's not everything, it still is a big thing.

It's funny, I think men see themselves (and their body image) through rose coloured glasses, yet I've seen really beautiful women critique themselves endlessly and be so unhappy with how they look. Maybe that's why ugly men think they can end up with beautiful women....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home