Canadian Down Under

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Singing in the Choir

On the ferry this morning on my way to work, I suddenly remembered something that happened when I was a kid and it made me laugh out loud. I think other commuters thought I was insane..

As per usual, I was listening to music on the way to work and for some reason it reminded me of a church concert I had been in when I was really little. It was the child's choir and it was the first time we'd done any kind of performance - I think it might have been a Christmas carol or something simple.

But what I remember most about it, was that I had been so looking forward to singing in front of everyone (I've always wanted to be a singer - preferably a rock star - but at six years old, I thought singing in the choir was pretty cool....) but the morning of the concert, I awoke with a really nasty cold. Not so nasty that I wasn't sent to church anyway, but nasty enough that I sounded all nasally and hoarse - and to my ears - like I couldn't sing.

So I didn't.

Sing that is.

I stood in the midst of the group of children and pretended. I mouthed the words, thinking no one would notice the difference. But what I didn't realise - being the obtuse six year that I was - I was actually one of the strongest voices in the choir and consequently it was VERY noticeable I wasn't singing.

Ooops.

Luckily though, the adults at church just thought it was cute and the other kids either didn't notice or didn't care. The adults were kind and told me what a fantastic job I'd done while trying to hide their smiles. I didn't clue in at all (until now) that I'd been caught out and thought how lucky I was to get away with not singing.

Although there was one exception: my brother - my usually quite unobservant brother. He came up to me after church and asked me why I hadn't sung. I told him it was because I had had a cold and couldn't sing. He told me I was being stupid.

Funny it takes all these years to realise my brother was trying to give me a compliment....

Seriously though - how funny must it have been to watch this Christmas concert and see this little girl in the front row mouthing the words but not singing???

Classic.

Man - the way kids minds work. I guess it's a good thing I haven't been breeding......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home