Canadian Down Under

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Imposter!!!!

So this morning I was walking into a shop and almost literally walked into this woman.

I stepped back - and when I stepped back, I noticed this woman was wearing a Canada sweatshirt: white jacket with big cherry red letters C A N A D A. I couldn't help myself - being the Canadian that I am - I smiled and asked "whereabouts?"

She looked at me blankly, so I asked again "Where in Canada are you from?" (My Canadian accent meant to be an instant communing tool between me and my fellow Canadian.)

My answer? "Oh I'm not Canadian, I'm from the States." Then she brushed by me and walked off.

Isn't that breaking the rules? Hey - I don't go to some other country wearing American paraphernalia!!!!

3 Comments:

  • You'd better get used to it. The worse America's reputation gets, the more you'll see it.

    I remember when I travelled to Europe in high school. I'm from Texas. Back then, everybody loved Texas. "JR Ewing!" You didn't say you were from America, you said you were from Texas. (I took it one further, knowing people's love for "Dallas", and said I was from Dallas, which I am, actually.)

    Now, you say you're from Canada. I know American backpackers are putting Canadian flags on their bags so no one gives them shit or tries anything funny. There's a lot of resentment toward the US now (much of it quite well deserved), so people are cautious.

    Or, this woman just could have sucked. That's always possible.

    By Blogger Ed, at 1:33 PM  

  • Heinous. And if she really wants to impersonate a Canadian she should start learning to say "sorry, um, sorry" as a way of starting just about every sentence. Or is that just me...

    By Blogger Gwyn, at 12:49 AM  

  • It's true! Americans often masquerade as Canadians when abroad. If you haven't seen THIS *hilarious* video, check it out.

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home