Canadian Down Under

Monday, January 28, 2008

Internet dating is NOT an option

Okay - I was going to write some witty little title and eventually through what I was writing, make my point, but no, I think in this instance it requires an upfront statement.

One that hopefully stop anyone else from suggesting this again.

So why is it that I think internet dating is a bad idea? Well in general, I don't believe its safe. I think meeting people through technology rather than in person can be a great way for people to create a false image or presentation of themselves. And I don't mean how people look, but I do mean hiding their personalities, traits, eccentricities. It mutes your sixth sense. Or at least it would for me.

For me, I put a lot of importance into first impressions. And its less what people say, and more their body language and that 'je ne sais quoi' that enables me to understand people.

So aside from that I generally think internet dating is a bad idea, I also think its a bad idea for me. See, aside from this blog and from required use at work - I just don't spend much time on the computer. I prefer music, the outdoors, group activities - which is not congruent with meeting online. It's not where I'm comfortable and its not what I'm primarily interested in and I just feel its a mismatch for me and wouldn't be where'd I'd find a good match for me either.

So why pontificate on internet dating? Well, I've had a couple of friends suggest it lately. And yesterday I had a friend start a conversation with "I don't mean to offend you" and then suggest it again.

So for the record: I'm not interested. Please stop suggesting it because I do find it offensive.

For the record: I would rather be single than try internet dating.

Subject closed.

1 Comments:

  • HUG!!!

    Next time tell them "Okay, STOP right there. If you do not wish to give offense then do not speak."

    I've had so many "well meaning" people in my life that if I had followed all the advice I'd be dead now.

    You're not an idiot. You'll figure out what you need to do to meet people. And it'll be the solution that is right for you.

    Hang in there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home