Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

And I've been waiting..

What's the saying? Good things come to those who wait? Yup. Been waiting - so now I'm starting to recount the good...

Yesterday I met my mentor for a cuppa for the first time. Without revealing too much, he's this Irish guy who actually went to the same university as me - but is not Canadian. So, a couple of similarities.

I won't tell you all that we talked about - but I have to admit - just one coffee made me feel hopeful. He gave me some really good advice - but more important than that, he summed me up in less than 45 minutes - so he gets me. So something friends of mine haven't been able to do in years of knowing me (there are some exceptions) he did in less than an hour.

Impressive.

He seemed to understand (though I did tell him) that I need help navigating the politics without compromising who I am. He got it. We're similar in some ways - but he's way more polished than me. I could learn a lot - and seeing as I'm ready to listen and actively asking advice - I think it could be good.

Two comments on where my weaknesses/development areas may be, comments I don't want to forget (and ones that were amazingly accurate) were:
  • I take any form of rejection very, very hard
  • my outer skin is paper thin

I've been given homework - which I will do tonight.

As I said earlier - good things come to those who wait.

I think this is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home