Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Blogging Etiquette?

Seeing as I'm fairly new to blogging, I haven't quite figured out what all the rules are yet.. especially in regards to comments.

It's funny, initially I was apprehensive of blogging because it meant anyone would be able to read what I wrote - and I wasn't sure I could survive that kind of scrutiny or exposure. However, since I've started I've had a few people post comments and they've all been quite wonderful to me. I'd like to answer some but should I? What's the rule? And if I answer some - should I answer all? And if I do answer, do I answer on my own blog? Or do I follow a link to their blogs?

I know, I know - I'm obsessing. But obsessing is something I do well......

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Comments:

  • Hi again. :)
    I don't have any "rules" (who does in this blogsphere?!) but here's my 2 cents (or your 2.6 cents, AUD, lol) on the subject:

    1. Choose what you feel like responding to and don't worry about leaving others' out. Most of us are way too busy these days and we understand that others are busy too, so I don't think anyone will take it personally if you don't have time to always comment back or if you're choosy in what you do want to comment to.
    2. I'm all for keeping discussions right where they are. I say comment back where the comment was made, ie: here at your blog. Sometimes it's fun to watch a discussion take place back and forth via the comments from the blogger and the reader. Even if you're not either one of them. And if you do find something at that person's blog and want to comment there, too, well then go for it. The person would probably welcome it and appreciate it, seeing that they took the time to comment to you in the first place.
    3. Some of us don't have links back to our blogs because we like to peek our heads out and join in discussions but aren't always so willing to let others peek in so quickly. Don't take it personally, we're just a little shy.

    I swear, I'm not stalking you or anything, I just checked back to see if you read my comment from before (see, we get curious and check back when we have the time!) and thought it was interesting that you were wondering about the etiquette.
    I can understand the obsessing thing, though, too. I do it pretty darn well myself. ;)

    -Mary

    By Blogger Mary, at 1:35 PM  

  • Hi Mary,

    Not to worry - I don't think you're stalking me. Besides, you gave me some good tips - which I appreciate - and hey - I'm even following. (Truly, I'm usually horrible at taking advice. It doesn't matter if I've asked for it or not...)

    Nice to see that you thought it was worth coming back for a visit- despite the wallowing I've been doing lately...

    By Blogger lala, at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home