Canadian Down Under

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Are you really going to eat all of that?

I've been itching to go see Million Dollar Baby since I first heard about it, however, I've been having trouble trying to convince someone to go see it with me. So..... I took matters into my own hands Saturday night and went to see it on my own.

Now - some people might think going to see a movie by yourself is kind of...well... strange. Other adjectives that I've heard to describe it are: lonely, loserish or courageous. Some people might think people who do things alone are to be pitied; whereas me? I just don't see what the big fuss is about. I've traveled on my own so much that I have no problem going to a restaurant and eating alone, going to a movie - whatever. I'd rather go do something I wanted to do instead of staying home alone. I don't worry too much about whether it makes other people feel uncomfortable - but sometimes the reverse isn't true...

I got to the theatre plenty early. I hadn't eaten dinner - couple of reasons for that: didn't have any food at home and felt that not eating dinner could justify me pigging out at the movie theatre... I spent quite a bit of time looking over the snack bar - pondering what I should get. Finally I decided. Really behaved myself after promising myself no recriminations on a junk food evening: from the candy section I had scooped 10 peanut M&M's (gotta have some chocolate) and 10 jelly beans (couldn't resist). Just a sampling (showing some self-control) but mostly because I was saving room for the popcorn and drink. But even then, I only ordered smalls....except when I ordered, the girl behind the counter told me that for $1 less I could have the bigger size. Now - since I'm trying to be more fiscally responsible these days - I of course opted for the bigger size.

No other reason.

However, I should have looked at how big the bigger size was first.. They should have called it the 'humungous' size. Massive. In fact, I could barely hold, let alone carry to my seat, the popcorn bag and soft drink cup.

Arriving outside Theatre 3 - I had to wait while the theatre people cleaned up after the earlier movie before we were let in. There was an ottoman nearby, so I perched on the edge, putting my soft drink on the floor and started nibbling on the popcorn - basically eating the top layer so it didn't spill all over the floor by accident. As I was sitting there by myself, a bunch of other people starting milling around waiting to get into the theatre as well. More specifically, it was a bunch of other couples. Normally I wouldn't have noticed at all, but for some reason I was feeling a little conspicuous. So, I quietly - and what I was hoping was nonchalantly - munched on my popcorn.

Suddenly, I heard this voice, "Are you really going to eat all of that?" Keeping to myself, I just stayed in my little dream world, not really paying attention to the various conversations around me. Till I heard, "That'll make you sick if you eat all that." At that point, the white noise of other people's conversations went dead silent, and I had the most uncomfortable feeling people were looking at me. Coming out of my fugue state, I looked around and realized to my utmost embarrassment that I was being singled out by this woman beside me. I stuttered an explanation along the lines of saving money kind of thing (which was lame and feeble even to my ears) and she asked again, "Are you really going to eat all of that." To which I simply replied, "No, I don't think so" as the red of humiliation started to creep across my cheeks.

Now, not only had I been singled out, stared and pointed at as a loner/loser who goes to movies movies by herself - I was also a pig loner/loser who goes to movies by herself. To be honest, I was a little shocked that someone had even spoken to me that I didn't quite realize I had been insulted. I believe the woman's boyfriend was either embarrassed by his date's outburst or felt sorry for me - I don't know which - but he shushed her after that - so at least I didn't have to fend off any further attacks.

As I sat there in the moments afterward, a multitude of thoughts ran through my head. Indignation started to take hold and I started to think - "Screw it - I'll eat the whole bag just to show her!" But then a moment later I realized that wouldn't happen - to be honest, I can't even make it through a small bag of popcorn without feeling sick. The truth is, the woman kind of took the enjoyment out of my junk food evening. I did eat some more popcorn - but somehow it no longer tasted the same. And - for the first time in ages - I really felt awkward being out on my own. I don't think she meant to be mean - in fact, I don't really think she put any thought into what she said. But in essence, that's what she was: thoughtless.

Australians are amazing creatures; really, outgoing and gregarious on one hand, but completely lacking in tact and social graces on another. Can't imaging that ever happening to me at a theatre in Canada... That being said, it was worth it - the movie was fab! Loved it!!

On a final note, I still enjoy my Coke (love the stuff), my 10 M&M's and my jelly beans, but I think it'll be a while before I have popcorn again. It was never a favourite of mine to begin with, and it's now lost some of its flavour....

1 Comments:

  • Where were you when I needed you??? It's unusual that I'm at a loss for words - but there's always a first time...

    By Blogger lala, at 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home