Canadian Down Under

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Busted

Blogging is something I had never really heard of until a few months ago, but have now become an addict of sorts. Having always wanted to write - and started many projects - I never developed the discipline needed in order to finish any of those started projects. With blogging, it's pretty much a daily requirement - or at least I've made it that for myself. And, I have a couple of really good friends who continue to read daily and either comment online or send me emails to offer encouragement (all of which is greatly appreciated).

So, this daily journal of sorts has been pretty cathartic as I've been able to write through things. It started off on a more personal note while I was trying to cope with having been dumped, but its morphed into more of a journal about life as an expat in Australia. Sometimes its observations on how life in Australia is different to what I know, but sometimes trivial everyday life stuff creeps in.

As I've mentioned before, I made a conscious decision not to include write-ups on my Mom - mainly because even if I thought they were funny, I knew for sure she wouldn't. But in addition to that, my blog was only meant as a way for me to put my thoughts to paper (okay - virtual paper) and perhaps learn some writing discipline. Never did I intend for anything I wrote to be offensive or hurtful in any manner, but it seems that in letting the personal everyday creep in, I have managed that anyway.

For that I am sorry. I have written in general terms, but it seems a person whom I didn't think had my site address found it anyway. I've always believed that honesty is the best policy, and I still do, but I need to realise that a blog is more than a private journal as it is in the public domain. Although I don't mind sharing my thoughts, I need to be more aware of the consequences of sharing my thoughts so unfiltered.

Unfortunately, the person I have upset is unlikely to ever read my blog again, so will not know that I am sorry for hurting her feelings. 'Too little, too late" keeps ringing in my ears, but nevertheless, I believe I have learnt a lesson from it all. I don't think it will change what I write about - but I will be more aware of the potential consequences...

1 Comments:

  • I think it's sort of a rite of Blogger passage that you get 'busted' at one point or another.

    I'm just really thankful my mother barely knows how to check her e-mail much less browse through or search for blogs.

    Freeing, tomama? Heck yeah, I agree!

    Btw, a few months ago, there was a humo(u)rous blogpost about this general topic at fonticulus.com. Worth the read.

    By Blogger Mary, at 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home