Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I think I'm getting old...

I just realised that it's less than two months until my birthday.

I know that's not really a big deal or anything, unless you knew what a fanatic I am about birthdays. Especially my own. ... I used to count the days to my birthday starting on January 1st. In fact, I used to go to school every day and the first thing I would say after 'Good Morning' (which granted, usually wasn't before 10 am (not the best morning person...)) was "Hey, guess what? It's ___ days to my birthday! And I used to say it with such enthusiasm! I'm sure it really annoyed people, but after a while it became a ritual of sorts and if I ever didn't mention it (which was rare) people would ask me "how many more days to your birthday today Laura?" And mostly it was friends just razzing me, but often, it was people I didn't know well, who actually seemed interested. Go figure.

Maybe it was the enthusiasm - because I love birthdays. I truly love birthdays - and it's not about the presents (though I still like to get them). I'm just not a big fan of holidays (especially Christmas - so obviously, it's not about the presents...), but birthdays hold a special place in my heart. And not just my own - I love the idea that a day can be all about a person - well, about their beginning.

So why did I forget this year? (And I really did forget..) Could it really be a sign that as the number increases, the enthusiasm decreases? I hope not.

So, I'll try to atone for my forgetfulness and begin today:

Hey guess what? It's 56 days to my birthday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home