Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

It must be the accent

It's the only thing I can think of to explain the horrendous customer service in this country. Either that, or Australians just don't care if people treat them like shit.

I've had a run of bad luck lately in problems with services or products and unfortunately, have spent an inordinate amount of time calling service departments. You know, it's bad enough when things don't work or things don't get delivered or service is interrupted - but good customer service can go a long way to alleviating the frustrations your customers are experiencing. In my opinion, a job fixing customer service in this country could keep you employed for a lifetime - that's how bad I think the problem is.

Actually, just having someone be nice on the phone when you call would go a long way to tempering my frustration. Instead - all I get is attitude. Bad attitude. It completely pisses me off. Now, for the second time in as many months I have emailed a senior marketing director with my complaints. Last time, I did get a response, now I'm just waiting to see if I get one tomorrow...

I asked a friend of mine out here if he thought customer service was shitty in this country - and he answered that Australians are just more laid back. Maybe they are - but I can't imagine that even Australians would like to spoken to the way I've been spoken to of late. Must be the accent that gives them license to be awful.

Some of it is attitude - but a lot of it is the lack of empowerment companies give their Customer Service departments out here - or maybe it's just they need better training... Either way, in my humble opinion, a job fixing customer service in this country could keep you employed for a lifetime - that's how bad I think the problem is..

Since that's not going to happen any time soon - I'm guessing I'm going to have to develop an Australian accent. Wish me luck mate!

3 Comments:

  • I just came across your blog tonight, its good reading. It's especially fun for me to read because im an Australian taurus living in Canada. Its been fun to see your thought on Australia.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

  • I'm glad you liked it. I must clarify though - although I write about the little things that drive me crazy sometimes, I think Australia's a really wonderful place. Just different from home for me - as I'm sure you're experiencing yourself! Be interesting to know how you're doing...

    By Blogger lala, at 8:30 PM  

  • I'm glad to hear that you are liking it there.

    I have been in Canada for a long time now. I moved here with my Canadian mum when i was 15 in 1991. I seem to go back to Australia every four years to live for a year or more. Havent been back for just over four years now and im starting to get really homesick.

    I like it here in Canada. There are somethings that i will never adjust to, like the winter, but I think i am here to stay.

    Most of my family lives here now. And now that i have a family of my own (found you through tomama.com), its hard to think of relocating again with the little ones.

    Anyway, i have rambled enough. Im really enjoying your blog. Are you in Australia permanently? How long have you been there?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home