Canadian Down Under

Saturday, April 23, 2005

The Corner Office

Did one of my favourite things today: browsed in a bookstore. Think I may have found a new author - which is cool, but I also think I found an author I didn't like.

I was browsing through the new releases when I came across a book called
"Nice girls don't get the corner office" . Even though I knew I shouldn't, I couldn't help myself, I picked it up. There seemed to be over 100 reasons as to why women don't get the corner office, the following is the few I can remember:

1. Because women tuck their feet up under them when they sit on a seat
2. Because some women wear their hair too long
3. Because women smile too frequently and inappropriately

All of the above reasons make women seem too feminine, therefore - according to the author - they'll never get the corner office.

Honestly, I don't get it. What's wrong with being feminine? And if being feminine means that women don't get the corner office, then do we really want it? If women can't get ahead by being women - doesn't that mean there's something wrong with the system? And not, as the book seems to suggest, that there's something wrong with being a woman?

I don't know why this book bothered me so much, but inherently it just seems wrong. Scarily enough, the reviews I've read thought the book was fabulous, but I don't see how. To me, the message from the book was that in order for women to succeed we have to change and not be ourselves. How depressing.

I don't think I want that kind of success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home