Canadian Down Under

Friday, April 22, 2005

Rock'n'Roll!

I found a new guitar teacher. His name's Keith and he's very nice. (In other words he doesn't make me feel like a complete nerd like the last one as I explained here)

Why? Well, mostly because he's nice, but also because he's older. (is that ageism in reverse?) Not old as in retirement age, but not as young as the 22 year old rock-star wannabe who was my previous teacher. In fact, he's 37. How do I know this? Well, because I asked him. Why did I ask? Well, because he asked me how old I was. Surprising? Kind of. But I did mention my birthday was coming up and I was feeling old. So not totally unexpected....

(Hey, did I mention my birthday is in 17 days? ( The
countdown is on....)

Anyway - as I was saying, he's quite nice...if not a little hippie-ish. He came to my place for my lesson and we sat on the floor for the entire time. Mind you - that might have more to do with my not having any furniture other than a couch, rather than him being a hippie... Either way, it was a little embarrassing that when I got up, both hips cracked, my back cracked and one of my shoulders. If he hadn't already known how old I was, that would have given him a big hint.... (For those of you who don't have any clue as to how old I am, I am younger than my guitar teacher, but not by a whole lot What causes a lot of confusion is that - by general consensus - I look much younger than that)

Overall, I thought he was pretty good. He definitely knew what he was talking about - (the info I got on him says that he's written some music for some famous singers (even though Celine Dion is a little cringe worthy - it's still impressive..)and also for commercials. He's traveled quite a bit for music as well.) He has a pretty good teaching style - gave me specific techniques, hand strengthening exercises, chords and practicing times and tips - as well as a 'Learn to Play Guitar' book he'd written.

So if he's so good, why does there sound like there's a 'but' coming? Well there isn't one really... except it makes me laugh when he intersperses any and all conversation with the phrase "rock'n'roll!" without warning. That's even his way of saying goodbye: as he left my flat his final words were - yup, you guessed it -"rock'n'roll!"

But he's nice - and so far I like him. So I will continue to take lessons from him (and supplement those lessons with visits to Rob's website (thanks Rob) at www.heartwoodguitar.com) and do my best not to laugh out loud the next time he unexpectedly uses the term "rock'n'roll" as a form of punctuation. Hopefully, I'll just get used to it soon so I won't get caught smirking... The guy really is too nice.

Rock'n'roll!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home