Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Is this what they call a Freudian Slip?

It's just one of those days I guess....

Late for work, a huge head cold and basically grumpy. That was how I started my day. And it just seemed to be one mishap after another. You know, the type of day when you didn't realise something was due and then suddenly somebody wants it RIGHT NOW, or the type of day when your boss wants to have a serious chat with you about your career aspirations and all you're thinking about is how to make it to the end of the day without killing someone - certainly not the appropriate frame of mind for a career discussion...

Then the straw happens. You know, the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back?

I was standing near my boss' boss' desk (does that make sense?) talking to someone when the boss' boss stops me to ask me a question. Fair enough, I'm usually good at off the cuff conversations, but not today... The question involved discussion around the various areas of the bank and how they inter-relate - and as one is wont to do in the banking environment - everything gets referred to by their acronym.

Acronyms are plentiful in a bank - which is tough at first - but once you learn them it becomes like a second language. The tough part is if you've worked in another bank previously, because then (as I've done often) you mix up the acronyms. So at Bank 1 XYZ may mean one thing but at Bank 2 XYZ stands for something completely different.

I took that one step further today. In talking to this senior guy, I meant to refer to our area of the bank by its acronym 'PBS' but instead used another.... and not even one from another bank.... By accident I substituted the B for M.

So there I was in the middle of the office, surrounded by tons of occupied cubicles, talking to the most senior guy on my floor about PMS.


I hate to believe its true, but I think this may be a stellar example of a Freudian slip...

Ooops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home