Canadian Down Under

Monday, May 30, 2005

Stood Up

So I alluded in my last post to potential romance that started up in Airlie Beach. I waited to write about partly because I thought by tonight I might have something more substantial to write about. Well I was right, but not in the way I thought.....

So the story begins on my last night in Airlie. Having ordered my drink, I was standing at the bar waiting for it to be made when this guy asked if he could buy it for me. Surprised, my instincts were to say no, but my friend's voice kept ringing in my head saying I need to be nicer to men, so I thought hey - why not just say yes. (Funny how being nice to men involves letting them spend money on you... but that's just my warped mind twisting things....).

Nice enough guy. Chatted a little and then made my way back to my table where my friend from home was waiting for me. Didn't think it was nice to leave her sitting by herself and I wasn't sure if she was annoyed or not. Got back to the table and discovered she couldn't have cared less and suggested that we invite the guy over (note - he had some friends with him so the offer may not have been as selfless as it seems at first take...but hey, a win-win for both of us....)

Anyway, spent most of the evening talking to them. The guys in general were pretty funny - the guy who bought me the drink was much more serious, but seemed pretty nice. Definitely keen. Almost too keen - but my friend threatened to smack me around if I didn't give him a chance - seems I have a problem with nice guys or guys who actually like me....

But I digress... During our conversation the guy talking to me (I'll call him 'drink guy') asked for my phone number and we tentatively made plans to meet up when he came through Sydney (he's just here on a visit). Now, I've had men take my number before but never call, so I wasn't expecting a lot, but he seemed so keen that I figured odds were he'd call.

Sure enough, Saturday he called. Didn't quite get to the phone in time, but he left a message saying he was still looking forward to seeing me, that he was sorry he missed me and that he call back.

Next day - sure enough - he called back. We chatted for a bit and then he asked if we could meet up when he was in Sydney. Said I couldn't on Tuesday and Wednesday (he's leaving on the Friday) and he jumped right in and asked if I would keep Monday and Thursday free for him. I was to choose a restaurant of my choice and he'd call me tomorrow (meaning today) to organise where.

Since he called me so early Sunday morning, I thought he might call in the morning Monday, but by lunchtime it was obvious that was a mistake. By 4:30 I was wondering if it was a mistake in general thinking he'd call - and by 6:00 I knew it was.

Stood up. By an American no less.....

I can't figure guys out. Why go to all that effort to not bother in the end?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home