Canadian Down Under

Sunday, May 08, 2005

My First Novel

I heard about this writing course that a well-known author runs once a year. It's a weekend retreat and he invites publishers to come and read what you've written and give feedback. Some people have even gotten publishing contracts from this weekend seminar.

Now in order for publishers to read what you've written, you have to submit some of your works prior to the course. In fact, as a part of the application process, you have to submit a novel you've written.

Now that's a problem. I haven't written one yet....

Good thing is though - I still have plenty of time - the course doesn't start until October and application deadlines are September sometime.

You know - when I first found out about this course, I was really excited and very gung ho. So much so that I quickly wrote out an outline of a story that I wanted to do (a revision of something I had attempted earlier that kind of went off the rails...) but that's where it ends.

Since then? Nothing. In fact, since I've been thinking about doing this course, I've been finding it extremely tough to even come up with things to blog about. Never mind trying to get some words on the page for my first novel.

What should I do?

I know I lack in self-discipline (it's true, I'm not being mean or unnecessarily self-critical, but I truly have honed procrastinating into an Olympic sport...) so I need to find a way to get myself writing - and soon!

Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home