Canadian Down Under

Monday, June 06, 2005

"I hate you"

Australian men and their pick up lines.....

No joke, this is what some guy said to me last night Saturday night when I was out. I was taken a little aback - and just a tad unnerved. The guys we were with told me it was a compliment (?) and that really I should be flattered. But really, how aggressive can you get? In my books declaring hatred is not complimentary....

Now, on first hearing this you'd think I'd done something to deserve it. According to my friend, I may have provoked it (although I don't really agree) but never did I do anything to deserve it. But hey, I'll let you be the judge.

So we were out at this pub - been there for a while - talking to the same group of guys when this other guy - with no connection to any of the others - comes over and joins our group. I noticed he was talking to my friend at one point, but didn't talk to him myself (I thought he was kind of creepy...) Later on we were taking pictures - or more accurately I was taking some pictures of my friend and the group we were with - and creepy guy kept trying to be part of it. So I kind of waved him out of the picture - I didn't know who he was and he wasn't part of our group so why would I take his picture???

Anyway, I thought no more of it and when he came over and asked me to dance I figured he wasn't harbouring any grudges.... Mind you, I said no to the dance - partly because I was talking to someone else at the time, but mostly because his method of asking me to dance was to grab my hand and start to drag me across the bar towards the dance floor.

I said 'thanks' - as in 'no thanks' - so I wasn't exactly rude when I said no....

A little while later he was sitting across the table from me and staring at me (extremely creepy) and I was avoiding his gaze when all of sudden he shouts at me "I don't like you." Surprised I looked up - not truly believing he was talking to me - but based on the nasty glare he was giving me, I realised he was indeed talking to me. So I answered "Don't worry, the feeling is mutual" because I didn't really want to jump into an argument, but didn't think I could just not respond. Next thing I know he shouts "In fact, I hate you."

Lovely.

Obviously charm school is not a priority for Australian men....

1 Comments:

  • Your initial impression of this guy was correct - he is at the very least a creep.

    You definitely did the right thing. Trust your gut about stuff like that and take no chances. This dude clearly has issues and his issues should not become yours.

    What a freak!

    By Blogger Expat, at 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home