Canadian Down Under

Monday, June 27, 2005

The Rules

You know - I really hate that book. ( Click here for an entire website devoted to this crap...)

The first time I ever heard of it, I was given it as a present when I'd gotten dumped. Not just your regular dumping either - dumped so bad I had trouble getting out of bed in the morning, trouble looking myself in the eye in the mirror kind of dumped. (I may be exaggerating a little, but only a little...) Not really the ideal gift - and not as funny as my friend thought it might be.

What's brought this up all of a sudden? Well, two things:

  1. A fellow Canuck mentioned it on her website. And
  2. A man. Or more specifically, what to do about a man.
Now, if I remember the book correctly, it basically it gives you a list of rules to live by in order to entrap/snare/marry (choose whichever verb best suits...) a man. The whole premise is offensive to me, yet.... all my friends are now married and I'm still single, so it's got me thinking... maybe I should give the book more than a passing glance...

And then I shake my head and say no I can't. But what I do need is advice. I think my problem is I'm too honest and don't play games. Kind of rules out dating...... or successful dating.

So what am I going on about? Well, let's see. (Should I tell or should I not??) The long and short of it is, there's this guy whom I met a little while ago. He lives far away, but we've been communicating via email. Seems that when I make my trip back home in August, he wants to come see me - which is cool, but that's not the problem. It's the email thing that's bugging me.

Now when he got back he emailed right away - seemed almost the moment he got off the plane. A few days later he emailed again and we emailed back and forth. The conversations themselves are good - it's the whole timing thing. He always takes a day or two to answer, but my style with email is when I get a message I answer right away. I think that may be sending the wrong message. I've started to wait a day or so before answering on the advice of a friend (she said answering right away made me seem desperate - but isn't it just polite??) even if does makes me mental (I really do think its rude).

But now I'm confused. It took him just about a week to write me last time. Now - he's an adult and has lots of stuff on - like work, recovery from shoulder surgery and sport teams commitments. I have no problem with that - he still seems keen enough in his messages and he's still planning on coming to visit. But now what? Should I wait a week before writing back? Should I just do what's normal for me? or what?

Should I read "The Rules" and do what they tell me?

Or should I just get a life and find something far more important to worry about....

Sigh.... Being single is not all its cracked up to be....

2 Comments:

  • omg - i do the *same* thing! I also think it's just polite to be prompt, and I just don't really get the whole waiting thing and feel bad when I don't respond to someone straightaway. are you able to IM? Then the delay issue disappears. Otherwise, I'd think that three days is a good delay - not too eager but definitely interested.

    I really feel that books like "the rules" aren't even intended to help women, but rather to foster and, sadly, to profit off of our insecurities. I used to sometimes read stuff like that, and then when I fall in love with someone, find myself wondering why it all seemed so hard...

    By Blogger Lissa, at 6:41 AM  

  • Thanks for the advice. Nice to know I'm not the only one! 3 days it is then...

    By Blogger lala, at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home