Canadian Down Under

Friday, June 24, 2005

Running in the Rain

I love it! Usually..... but tonight was a whole new experience.

Now for those of you who don't read this blog regularly, I've been moaning about the fact that I'm unfit (read: fat but I'm trying to be nice to myself...) When the truth is, I just haven't been exercising as much as I used to. (Isn't amazing how much time you have for exercise when you don't work? Man - work is such a pain!)

Seriously though I used to be quite active, but what with working long hours, hurting my back last year and serious laziness, I've been slacking off a little lately. Pilates has gotten my back into shape - and I quite enjoy the classes - but it's not really enough to compensate for my love of chocolate. I've been trying to motivate myself to get out there running again, but I've found excuse after excuse not to. It's amazing how just thinking of going for a run could make my back twinge....

Tonight was different. On the ferry ride home I told myself that tonight was the night. I mentally prepared myself, got home and got into my running gear and headed straight back out the door. (You know, when I finally decide something - there's no stopping me!)

It was a nice coolish evening - perfect for a run and I started out full of pep. The first few drops of rain even served to invigorate me more. (I've heard running in the rain is actually easier on you - something about the electrolytes in the air or something...) Anyway, I kept going, enjoying my little run.

Then the heavens opened.

I've run in the rain before - downpours even - but never a deluge like this one! I had water running underneath my shirt, underneath my sports bra and even running on the inside of my underwear! My shoes turned into miniature swimming pools. It was raining so hard I kept wiping my eyes to see where I was going.

But I kept going.

Why? Well, truthfully, it wasn't too cold - and the fact is I couldn't have gotten any wetter. But I gotta say - I sure picked one helluva night to start running again....

As I ran past one of the hotels - a group of tourists shouted out encouragement and sympathy. The funny thing is, they probably figured that anyone running in that stuff had to be a pretty dedicated athlete. Truth is, I'm not a dedicated athlete, more like a stubborn fool!

Ah well, I've been through the worst now - no reason not to continue....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home