Canadian Down Under

Monday, June 13, 2005

I'm an Adult Now

I hate bugs. Of any kind. But what I hate even more than bugs is killing bugs. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Usually when I I move in with a new flat mate, I'm upfront about my inability to deal with the creepy crawlies and work out some kind of deal whereby they deal with any bugs, spiders or cockroaches (in Sydney - they're everywhere!) I'm so pathetic about it, it isn't even funny. I once even called a flat mate when she was at the pub to come home and deal with a creepy crawlie I had trapped. (It was a miracle I had trapped it to begin with....) In my own defense, it turned out to be a scorpion, so although I agree that I'm a baby, at least I was a baby for a good reason that time....

All of that changed last night.

I was in the bathroom putting some stuff away when a movement on the counter across the room caught my eye. My heart dropped. I figured anything that big that moved that quick would have to be a cockroach - probably the most dreaded of all creepy crawlies.... I've done my best to keep things clean - no food scraps or crumbs around - and I live in a pretty modern/clean apartment block -but Sydney is so cockroach infested that it was really only a matter of time...

However, on closer inspection, I realised it was just a beetle of sorts (at least I think it was..) which made me feel a little less anxious - but then I realised it still needed to be dealt with - and the problem now is - I live alone, so I needed to deal with it myself.

Uggh.

Out came the shoe and wads of toilet paper. Although I had a little high-pitched squeak happening inside my head - within 30 minutes the deed was done. Okay, okay, 30 minutes is pretty lame, but I managed. So I guess it's official: I'm an adult now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home