Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Quitting is easy to do!

And in this situation - it's a good thing to do!!

Since I officially resigned from my job last Friday, I've had to inform the various project teams I've been working with that I'm leaving. And you know what? The people have been amazing - and amazing to me. Uniformly across the board people have said that they're sorry to see me go, that they've enjoyed working with me. AND it was genuine!

The thing is - ever since I arrived in Australia, I've never quite been sure whether I'll ever fit in or belong. Working in a couple jobs that probably weren't quite the best fit for me probably did little to ease that feeling, but the last few days have done wonders to make me feel at home. Even though it's because I'm leaving.... Is that what they call irony?

In my recent round of interviews, I got one question a lot: how is it working in Australia compared to Canada? You know, I've discovered many differences, but none of them are very easy to verbalise (and especially not to Australians because they're not always favourable comparisons....). However, one thing that really stands out in the companies I've worked in is the quality of caring and compassion on a personal level from colleagues. I am amazed, flattered and very appreciative of how thoughtful and kind people can be in the workplace. It's not the I haven't met people who are equally as wonderful while working in Canada, but it just seems a little more pervasive here.

Funny it takes until I'm leaving to find that out though...

Good thing I quit so often...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home