Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Tour de France

I'm obsessed. I should be in bed - I have one of the worst colds ever and have been too tired to do much of anything, including cooking a proper meal to combat my stupid cold - but no, I'm staying up, on-line (actually on theTour de France website) tracking what's happening in the race.

Now - although I do like sports - I've never been a huge cycling fan, until Lance Armstrong. I don't what it is - I'm usually not one of those types of people that fixates on famous people/famous athletes - but for some reason Lance Armstrong really intrigues me. I think the thing is - I really admire him. I mean, I know he's not perfect - but I find it amazing the obstacles he's overcome just to stay alive - and then he's surpassed all expectations by not only staying alive, but by becoming a world class athlete.

I just recently finished reading his autobiography - which has probably helped fuel my interest in the Tour de France this year - but I did watch last year as well. Anyway, I was so impressed by his frankness and honesty. He says (and I'm hugely paraphrasing and probably not accurately at that...) that he doesn't know why he survived when so many others didn't - but the impression I got from the book was that this was a man with supreme willpower and if anyone was meant to beat the odds, its him.

So, here I am, it's well past midnight and I'm a Canadian in Australia cheering on an American riding in France. (I feel very United Nations-ish at the moment....) Time zones are killing me!!! Will the lunacy never end???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home