Canadian Down Under

Monday, August 29, 2005

Two down and one to go

Weeks that is.... God, I feel like I've been away forever!

So, it's been interesting. So far home has had it's share of catastrophes: a tornado followed by sewage flooding my mother's basement and destroying a lot of the stuff I have stored here.... then the dock at the cottage breaking away and floating around the lake with the boat still tied to it... then a scare about the dog's health (Momma's boy started shaking uncontrollably). When that happened all I could think about was "Oh my God, if this dog dies, Mom will be a mess....

But no, instead it turned out the good ol' Momma's boy was just afraid.... terribly afraid. Probably rightly so, but I still made fun of him anyway.

See, the next morning after the shaking incident, my brother woke me and the girls (his girlfriend's kids) really early, telling us to be quiet but to follow him. And lo and behold outside the back door, going through the garbage, was this beautiful black bear. I've never seen one so close and it was gorgeous! Well, gorgeous because there was solid walls and thick windows between us.... But what a treat for two teenage girls visiting from England ... ok - and for me.

Life's been good so far - catching up with old friends, spending time with family, teaching the girls how to waterski (I love the water - but man! I have never spent so much time in the lake!) All worth it though to see how happy they were once they mastered getting up on skis - quite fun really.

My romantic/dirty weekend turned into one night of romance followed by a night of tending to the sick (him, not me). That's certainly one way of surviving a weekend you want out of.... Nah, I'm only kidding. It was good - a shame he got sick though. No life long connection there, so it would have been nice for two romantic evenings instead of a night of nursing duty, but oh well, can't get everything... Did manage to get a marriage proposal though - but does it count if it comes from a random stranger on the street?

So, one more week at the cottage with my best friend and her family and then it's back home to reality. Had someone ask me what I miss about Australia while here - and despite thinking about it for a few minutes, I drew a complete blank, then finally answered 'my personal freedom'. I think the guy I was talking to thought I was fucked, but it makes total sense to me. It's funny how coming home makes you understand why you left.... Don't get me wrong, I love Canada - even went for a little drive around the neighbourhood this morning before anyone was up and I have to say - it truly is a beautiful place. The treelined streets and the greenness of it all - something I sorely miss when I'm in my Australian home. Ahhh, the beautiful Canadian north - I'm definitely going to make the most of my last week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home