Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Motivation

Once a week, a colleague and I go swimming on our lunch hour. This originally started as just a way to incorporate some exercise into both of our hectic schedules - but it also turned out to be a fun way to get to know someone and begin a friendship.

Until she took it too far......

Nah, just kidding, but what she has done is signed us up for a corporate triathlon taking place in late March. As a consolation and/or a way to get me to agree, another colleague has developed a training schedule for us. So, last night, in order to at least make an effort to not completely embarrass myself in March, I went for my first official training run.

How I hate running.

With each and every step.

With each and every step I think of a gazillion reasons not to take another step. But now with a goal in sight and a training schedule someone has worked so hard to put together, I feel obliged to keep going. Though, after what happened last night, it's pretty hard to keep going.

See, I'd just started out - was jogging along the beach front, heading toward Shelley Beach and already thinking of quitting despite having only been jogging for a few minutes - when out of nowhere this, this, this little pert thing jogs by me.

JOGS BY ME.

In her teeny, tiny little shorts, and miniscule strappy toppy thing WITH ABSOLUTELY NOTHING JIGGLING THAT SHOULDN'T BE.

In that moment, I understood hate.

I also realised jealousy has a taste to it. It's very bitter. This pert, skinny, young thing ran by me, but I refused to let her defeat me.

How?

Because when she had to quit running at Life Saving Club, it made me feel good. It made me feel good because although I was probably 20 years older than that little thing- I could at least run farther.

Warped I know. But I'll take whatever motivation - in whatever form it presents itself - I can find.

2 Comments:

  • Wow, so you're running now? That's so cool. I want to go through the experience of training for some uber-intense physical contest, but I don't know which one yet. Marathon? Triathlon? Climb a major rock/mountain. I don't know.

    I'm not even sure why I want to do it. Maybe it's the "set goal, accomplish goal" aspect. Who knows. Anyway, I'll stop now because I think I'm rambling here ...

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 1:23 AM  

  • You weren't rambling - but even if you were - rambling is always welcome on my blog... Isn't that what blogging's all about?

    By Blogger lala, at 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home