Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Side Effects

Got some.

It's a bit of a family secret that I'm taking Niprivil as a migraine preventative. Reason being, my mom's a retired nurse and is COMPLETELY opposed to taking any kind of medication unless absolutely necessary. Now, my mom's definition of absolutely necessary? You pretty much need to be close to death, so I'm thinking this preventative medication wouldn't really fit the bill.

So, now that I've written the disclaimer, I'll get back to the original story: my side effects.

As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I've been a little under the weather (nothing like a little jet lag plus contact with office lurgy to put you off your game...). I've chalked most of it up to the lurgy, but yesterday kind of unnerved me so I went to the doctor today (No, you can't get a same day appointment with a doctor here... I don't get why anyone thinks Ontario's health care system is bad - they should try living in countries with private health....)

So the bad side effects?:
  • dizziness (even fell down once)
  • low blood pressure
  • hot flashes
  • nightmares (although I consider them night terrors - I mean what else makes you get out of bed to check to make sure someone hasn't broken in three nights in a row?)
  • back pain (kidney ache - being investigated still - will keep you updated)

though to be honest - only I think they're all related to Niprivil - my doctor thinks the last three are related to the lurgy....

Good side effects? (And yes there can be some...):

  • no headaches. None. Nada.
  • An overall calmness and sense of well-being. (Being such a hot head, this is a very strange feeling...)

Those ones I can actually prove - but the best of all? I think it's helping me lose weight. Probable? Who knows - but with the amount of food I consumed over the holidays and have continued to consume without any adverse weight gain, I'm thinking its possible. But hey, as long I believe - who cares?

I think that might even make the nightmares worth it.....




1 Comments:

  • Never get a hangover?????????

    Shit. I'm so jealous.

    By Blogger lala, at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home