Canadian Down Under

Friday, December 30, 2005

Random Thoughts

Canadians are really nice. In the stores (yes, I've been shopping) they're friendly, in the internet places they're helpful - or maybe that's just Vancouver. Random people blessed me because I sneezed in a coffee shop. It's the little things that make it nice to be home.


Caught up with tomama (oops, sorry Gwyneth Paltrow look-alike) before Christmas and it was really nice to see her. She personifies one of the things I love most about Canadians: dry, biting sarcasm. She so makes me laugh with stories told from her perspective. (I know you don't write specifics about your kids, but I have to say it - they really are adorable!)


Which reminds me of another thing I so miss about home: not having to explain that it's a joke. People here get it. There's no need to say: it's a joke. There's is no 10 second pause while the comment is processed - there's just an instantaneous chuckle (or in the case of my mother: the instantaneous "brat" retort).


I bought the best shirt in Beaver Canoe on Boxing Day. It's white with Canada written across the front in silver, with "True, Strong & Free" on the sleeve. Wearing it right now. Perfect!


I am an idiot some days. Forgot to write down my friends' and cousins' phone numbers, which is why I'm in an internet cafe right now looking them up. Now I'm procrastinating on blogger.com. Sometimes it's just one of those days....


Christmas day was fun this year. No fights. Not a one. We're half Irish. See - miracles can happen!!


I must admit - I was disappointed it wasn't colder. Hovering around zero was great and all - but was really hoping for one day of bitter cold. Who'da thought I'd ever miss that?


I like being in an unfamiliar city on my own. I really need to travel more. Stop using all my vacation to go to Canada.....


"Merry Christmas to me" has been officially open since Boxing Day (okay, may have started a little earlier than that...) Happy New Year season is only going to last until I get my Visa bill - which will also bring an end to the "Merry Christmas to me" season. Hmmm, enjoying it while it lasts though!


See! I told you they were random thoughts! Better go though. Will be offline until the New Year now, when I undoubtedly will have plenty to post (17 hours on a plane gives you plenty of time to write....)

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home