Canadian Down Under

Monday, May 07, 2007

The Logies

The Logies are the Australian equivalent of The Emmys (is there a Canadian equivalent??? I'm sure that there is but for the life of me I can't remember.... I mean the Junos are music - but music only right????)

Anyway - the Logies were on last night - and Rove - from the show 'Rove Live' which I consider to be the equivalent of David Letterman (I don't like Jay Leno...) - won two awards. Now, he's good so that's no surprise - but what made this particularly noteworthy is that he was off the air for quite a few months last year because his wife died. He's young, she was young and they were Australian entertainment royalty of a sort - and they came across as true soul mates so it was all very heartbreaking.

Why I mentioning this is that I missed his first acceptance speech and saw the beginning of his second - and he started off by apologising for the first - and I'm wondering what happened. Was he too irreverent? (he usually is in his skits) Did he feel he'd offended people by not being as morose as perhaps he perceived people wanted him to be?

I have to say - they did a tribute to those who has passed in the last year and the footage of his wife seemed never-ending. I felt for him - I wouldn't have wanted to sit through that.

I'm just curious as to what happened. I know that many years ago when my Dad died - it seemed to offend people if you made a joke or smiled or laughed before others 'deemed it appropriate' - and I just hope that didn't happen to him on a night when it was about celebrating and having fun.

2 Comments:

  • So here's the lowdown according to www.academy.ca ..
    -the Genie awards honour Cdn TV and Movies
    -the Gemini awards honour Cdn Television

    hello, still awake???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 AM  

  • Hey,

    I know that when I was in Oz, Rove Live was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen.

    I had heard his wife was sick, but I didn't know she had passed - such a fucking shame!

    How's life???

    By Blogger Mitch, at 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home