Canadian Down Under

Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Eagles

If you've read my personal profile at all - you'll have noticed that I listed the Eagles as one of my favourite groups. That's a bit of an understatement - I love them. Well, not them exactly, but their music. There's something about their songs that always seem to strike a chord with me... and their music is very easy to sing along with. Hey, who could ask for more?

So tonight I've been doing a little work and put some music on to help dull the pain. So, what did I choose? One of the 7 new CD's I bought in the last two days? Of course not. That would be what normal people do. No, instead - you guessed it - I put on the Eagles. There is a logical reason for this though - my all-time favourite Christmas song (can't really call it a carol) is The Eagles version of Please Come Home for Christmas. Love it. Have actually played it far too many times tonight, but then it is Christmas - which really is the only appropriate time of year to play it...

Anyway, it got me to thinking - well, the lyrics got me to thinking. Lyrics like:
"oh what a Christmas, to have the blues. My baby's gone, I have no friends". I kind of noticed, but didn't, but then the CD continued - and next thing you know the song Wasted Time was playing and some of those lyrics go:
"Oh my God, I can't believe it's happening again, you're baby's gone and you're all alone" or
"you don't care much for a strangers touch, but you can't hold your man" or
"you never thought you'd be alone, this far down the line" and best of all:
"you're afraid its all been wasted time"

So they started me thinking (which is always a dangerous thing...) do I love those lyrics because I seem to identify with them? (which wouldn't explain why I loved them at age 12) or did I love them and consequently subconciously live them?

Now my favourite song of all time is Desperado - but let's not go there....

I think it's time I turned off the music. Wish I could also turn off my brain.

1 Comments:

  • Hi, Laura.
    I found my way to your blog via one of the many Mommy-type blogs I'm addicted to reading. Go figure. I'm quite certain my path met yours due to your recent post about your psychic experience. Personally, I've never given the subject enough consideration to decide whether or not I think any of it is "valid". Whatever. What I really wanted to say is this:
    1. Wasted Time is my favorite Eagles song and I can certainly understand how their music strikes a chord with you. (I fell in love with the song when I was about 12, btw.)
    2. Two of my most favorite people in the world live in Australia (one in Melbourne, the other in Canberra) and I've never actually met either of them in person. A third friend I know but have never met lives in Alberta, Canada.
    3. When I read your Shiny New Car post I swear I thought you said "I'll never throw up", which gave me a whole new appreciation of how valuable a convertible-top can be should the opposite statement ever be true. Heh.

    Thanks for the read.
    Take care and hang in there... Err, hang in down under there?... Alright, just hang on.

    By Blogger Mary, at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home