Canadian Down Under

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Crash Landing

The ferry ride home wasn't as smooth as usual today....

I was in my own little world, with my CD player on, as the ferry started heading into Manly wharf. I wasn't really paying attention, but something made me look up and I noticed we were WAY off to the left side of the wharf (I'd give you a distance - but I have no spatial skills...) Next, the ferry starts backing up (this is no easy feat - the ferry can carry over 1,000 passengers...) - but it's only using a motor on one side, so we're backing up on an angle. So now we have avoiding coasting in and crashing into OceanWorld aquarium, but we're heading straight (or should I say crookedly) into more trouble.

Imagine a ferry as large as I've described, going full throttle on one motor, on one side. Even if they shut down the motor, momentum will keep you drifting. Now picture Manly wharf - one on side is a beach and Ocean World and on the other side is the Manly Yacht club (which means the water on one side of the wharf is littered with moored sailboats).

The PA scratched to life, and a voice announced that they were having trouble with the equipment, but to hang in there, we'd get to the wharf eventually. (Yup, they really said that.) So we've just been informed that they're having mechanical problems when the motors shut down and we start drifting - right towards the moored sailboats. As this is happening, I start thinking, "this'll make good copy in the papers tomorrow morning: Manly Ferry Mangles Manly Yachts". (Okay - needs a little work - but you get the drift...)

With what seemed like only yards to spare, the motor fired up again - this time we headed in the direction of the wharf. It looked like we were going to slide easily alongside - or at least I thought that until I heard the loud crash. Apparently it's hard to steer correctly when all your equipment's not working.....

Eventually, we made it in with the only apparent damage being a chunk out of the concrete piling at the front of the wharf. Nothing like a little excitement to lighten up the commute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home