Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Price of Beauty

My recent retail splurges have developed a new focus: shoes.

It all started because I needed a new pair of shoes for work. You know nice black heels - that are sensible yet comfortable. (Typical banker shoes if you know what I mean). After my first excursion, I didn't quite get shoes that matched all my criteria. Okay, they didn't match any of my criteria - they were bronze, high-heeled sandals with pink and red embroidery. Pretty, yet not very practical - and definitely not black. Next trip, I at least got the colour right - they were black, but they were also strappy sandals that had these really funky silver rings on them. Pretty yet again, but definitely not appropriate for work.

I was running out of time - I only had one shopping day left before my new job started. At this point I was beginning to think I was going to have to compromise on some of my requirements. No matter what, they were going to have to be black - so I was either going to have to fork out lots of cash (which after two unbudgeted yet really funky purchases probably wasn't an option...) or forgo the sensible, or the comfortable or give up on the nice.

Amazingly enough I found the almost perfect shoe! Black, medium heeled, all leather - the only exception to my basic requirements was that they weren't strictly 'sensible' - they had these funky black straps across the tops - but were still acceptable for work. (Nothing wrong with a little flair...)

I wore them my first day at work. All day. No break.

Oops. Seems I compromised on more than just sensible... I compromised on comfort as well.

Well, as anyone knows who has worn high heels - if you have a problem, a blister or your feet swell - whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF if there's even a remote chance you'll have to wear them again. So, I wore them all day; ignoring the little blister bubbles forming around the edges of the shoes on my toes, ignoring the pain of my big toe. What I didn't ignore was the pharmacy on my way home. Epsom salts to soak my feet and padded bandages to protect the injuries....

Later that evening, with my feet soaking, I was pondering the price women pay for fashion and beauty. Crazy when you look at it like that... but after another look at my shoes? You know I'd do it all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home