Canadian Down Under

Friday, February 18, 2005

Working Down Under

Every new company you work for is a little different from any you may have worked at before, so I figured that working in a new country would be different, but the question was - just how different?

Well, I just read an article on blogging about work - and how some employees have been fired or sued because of it - so I'll have to be a little vague about who I've worked for in order to continue...

My first job (the one I just left) was for a private health insurance company (do you think that's vague enough?). I had heard rumours that Australia was chock-a-block with chaunvinist, but were generally laid back and didn't work too hard.

That was wrong.

My boss turned out to be the biggest chauvinist I've ever met - but he was very subtle about it so it would have been hard to prove. And remember, I've worked in an investment bank, so that previous statement is really saying something.... In the first couple weeks at my first job - I couldn't get over how hard everyone seemed to be working. Some of the people there were so focused is was a little scary..... And this Friday afternoon off rumour I heard about? Just a rumour.

Must admit, I was very disappointed because I had been hoping I could get paid well here in Australia and yet not work very hard (I had pretty much managed it back home...) but instead, I was getting paid less than I had in the previous five years and I was actually having to work all day. Totally sucked. Mind you - by the time I left it was a much more casual atmosphere, there was much more frivolity in the office though still a lot of work being done. It's funny - another myth about the Aussie's is that they over-the -top friendly. What I discovered is that at first glance they seem quite gregarious, but at the same time they are quite guarded. It takes a bit of time to really get to know them.

Or at least that's what I learned from my first job.

My current job? The one I've been in only a week? Well, so far I've discovered almost completely the opposite. My boss is anything BUT a chauvinist. The team I work with - in general - are quite relaxed and like a good laugh or practical joke. I think there's work being done, but its still too early to tell.... All that, and its a bank I work for? First impressions are: I'm going to like working there. Fingers crossed though!

So, it looks like Australia is quite similar to Canada in that every company has a different feel and culture. (Mind you, my current sample of 2 is probably not statistically viable - but work with me - if I tried for a greater sample pool - I'd never be able to get a job because I'd come across as too unreliable..)

One difference between Canada and Australia? In Australia, I never came to work and found a vomit stain on the carpet (and the hideous smell accompanying it..) I guess Thursday nights out take a slightly different turn down here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home