Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Janis Joplin, I ain't

And I'm not Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crown and/or Shania Twain either. Damn. Not even a distant relative to any of the above based on how I play guitar. Three lessons and still a beginner. How painful is that?

To make matters worse, I think my guitar teacher thinks I'm a complete moron. Fifteen years of piano (Conservatory - with theory mixed in) and he felt the need to go back to basics to explain what 'playing in the key of G major' meant. Never mind that he talked to me as though I was mentally challenged and only about 6 years old - to make matter worse, I still didn't understand - even when he talked real slow.

I had a substitute teacher last time and I liked him. And I swear it had nothing to do with him raving on about how great Canadians are.... My current teacher just came back from his 'road tour' and I think he's far too cool for me. I mean he dresses in a leather jacket and has a shaggy haircut whereas I wore a corduroy jacket and my hair - though long - was brushed. (Mind you, my jacket is hemp - does that make me a little more cool perhaps?)

I feel sooooo stupid. How is it that a 25 year old guy from a band intimidates me so much?

I think my dreams of becoming a rock star are going to stay just that: dreams. Good think I never tried out for American Idol considering I'm contemplating never going back to my 25 year rock wannabee guitar teacher...

1 Comments:

  • Hey Laura,

    Cool blog! I noticed you play guitar. I teach guitar in Seattle and started a blog on my website last week about guitar teaching and playing. I posted a few entries recently--"How to Practice," "The Importance of Having Fun"-- that you might find interesting.

    http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/blog/blog.html

    I've also got tons of songs that I've written out for my students here:

    http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/chords.htm

    I hope you enjoy the blog. Feel free to join in on the conversation and link to my site if you think you'll be coming back. I hope it'll become a forum that people return to again and again to swap stories and tips, and I plan on updating every couple days or so.

    Have fun with the music,

    Rob

    By Blogger Rob, at 3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home