Canadian Down Under

Friday, July 08, 2005

Calling London

It's a tragedy what happened in London yesterday. Words are inadequate in the face of such senseless violence.

Watching the news reports, I was completely amazed by the response of Londoners. What seemed to come through from Prime Minister Tony Blair to the average man on the street was a calmness, a matter-of-factness and a resilience in response to the crisis.

Comments from injured survivors were striking:
"We won't let these cowards win"
"I feel pity for the people responsible"

Amazing attitudes - and so different from initial responses in the US after September 11, where anger and revenge seemed to dominate - but perhaps this is due to London's previous experience with bombings and terrorism. However it transpired, it's admirable.

So far away - yet so close to home. One of my brothers lives and works in the heart of London and it took many hours before the phone lines worked and I was able to get a hold of him. When I did , he sounded very English: he was dismayed by the tragedy, yet not truly surprised. Our family's not very emotive with one another, but it was good to hear his voice and he was touched that I called.

Events like what happened in London are tragic - and they can be tough on those with family and loved ones abroad. But they cannot change how we live or indeed, the terrorists will win. They serve as a reminder to appreciate and value life on a daily basis. I usually joke about how I dread family vacations, but not this time. This time I have to admit, I'm very much looking forward to seeing my brother when we're both in Canada this August.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home