Canadian Down Under

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Out of the Blue

Some kind of subliminal message has been sent out into the atmosphere. To whom it's intended for or what was actually said - I have no idea - but the end result is that I've had an influx of messages from long lost friends.

Ever heard of Classmates.com? Well, in one of my previous jobs when I was bored out of my skull, I registered under my old high school. This week (years later) I got an email from someone who was there the same time as me - just wanting to say hi. Apparently he'd seen me in the Toronto underground last summer and it took him a whole year to screw up the courage to say hi (I SWEAR I'm not that scary...) The only bad thing is I can't place him.... the name is familiar, but nothing's clicked yet....

Then out of the blue, I heard from Maureen.

Quite a few years ago, while I was backpacking around Australia, I met two quite fabulous Irish sisters, Maggie & Maureen. I was travelling on my own then and they were kind enough to let me hang with them for a while - and out of that act of kindness, a friendship grew. We kept in touch for a while (thanks to the wonders of the Internet...) but after they moved, and then I moved, we kind of lost touch....until yesterday!! It's great to hear from her again - and although I haven't seen her in ages - while reading her email it just seemed like she was right there talking to me.

But the piece de resistance was the email I got yesterday from Brian. He's one of those people that have that 'je ne sais quoi'; that spark that brightens up all those around him. He's my best friend's ex-boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend's good friend - so it's not hard to figure out why we kind of lost touch. I did see him once - right after his first son was born - but then I moved and we lost touch. Occasionally I heard about him through mutual friends or sometimes from my best friend, who hears about him sometimes - but sadly, just little snippets.

I was so surprised to see his email and even more surprised at the lengths he went to to find me. He talked to my best friend who gave him the wrong number (classic! more on that later, but suffice to say we continually lose each other's phone numbers or dial the wrong ones because we both seem to move too much.... Thank God our parents never move so we're able to track each other down...). So then he triedthe internet - which actually gave him the right information (how unnerving is that? that someone from Canada can track me down here in Austrlia..) but called my Mom to make sure he had it right.

And then last night he called. He sounded so different at first (mind you, it's been about seven years...) but within a few minutes it was like old times. So much has happened in both our lives; so much time has passed - you'd think that would affect our relationship - but it hasn't. So now, my trip home not only includes catching up with family and close friends - it also includes a reunion. One I'm very much looking forward to.

It's nice to be reminded that time and distance can temporarily keep people apart, but it won't separate good friends forever. Especially nice to remember when living this far away from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home