Canadian Down Under

Monday, September 19, 2005

I can really be a wanker sometimes....

I'm almost embarrassed to admit what I did today.....

Almost.

See, today was D-day. Or should I call it C-day? Well, whichever, today I had my interview with DIMIA (Australian immigration) for my citizenship interview (C-day, get it?) I got all my stuff together: my passport, my birth certificate, my proof of identity form and my letter which told me my interview was at 12:00.

Surprisingly, I was almost on time. Got there at about 12:02 (Not bad for me - in fact, all round pretty impressive....) and was told to get a ticket.

A ticket? But I had an appointment?

But no, must follow policy/procedure and get a ticket then sit and wait. Silly me to think that if you have an APPOINTMENT for 12:00 that'd you actually get to see someone at the appointed time, but apparently The Department of Immigration has a different interpretation of the word 'appointment' from the rest of the world.

So, I sit down and I wait.

And I wait.

And I wait some more.

I occupy myself with daydreaming about how I'd handle it if a guy proposed to me. I substitute various men I've known, former boyfriends, potential boyfriends, totally unsuitable suitors, famous men, etc - and discover it doesn't matter who I rotate it in - it all ends badly...... I realise that shock, revulsion and fear all cause the same physical reaction in me....

I wait some more.

And some more.

I get bored and look around and see a banner about Australian citizenship and read it.

I wait some more.

I look at my watch and see it's almost 1:30 and something in my brain clicks: there's a phone number on that banner.

I use it.

So, as I'm sitting in the waiting room waiting for my number to be called, I call their number.....

When they answer the phone, I explain my situation: that I had a 12:00 appointment and it's now 1:30 and ask if I should re-schedule or will somebody be seeing me soon. (I really can be a wanker sometimes....) I mention that I've just started a new job and really can't be gone from work much longer. I explain that I thought if I had a 12:00 appointment that someone would actually see me at that time and that I wouldn't be expected to wait. I ask if I should re-schedule or will the same thing happen again on the re-scheduled day and hence, I should just wait today. (I told you I can be a wanker)

While I'm saying all this (note - I am being very nice on the phone) , a few things happen: 1. people in the waiting room start staring and 2. My number gets called.

How funny is that?

I rock up to window #64 and the woman looks up at me and says, "Oh, it's you."

Not a good start to an immigration interview.....

Not knowing the 5 rights and privileges of being an Australian citizen (they give you a sheet with them on it to memorize that I could have been reading while waiting - but, of course, wasn't) isn't a good way to continue either.

But since I'm so anal, everything was in order and I was told they'd be in touch to set up the ceremony day.

Funny though - apparently the woman couldn't organise for my brother and I to do it together. Hmmm, was told when I called last month that that wouldn't be a problem....

Funny.

Guess I'm not the only one who thinks I can be a wanker.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home