Canadian Down Under

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Desperate times...

call for desperate measure....

It was absolutely gorgeous here today. Sunny. Hot. VERY hot. Beach weather. Yahoo!!

Since I already had plans for the afternoon, I got up extra early so I could go to the beach. Wasn't hard with the amount of sun pouring in this morning - a very welcome sight after weekends upon weekends of rain...

So up I get, pack my stuff in my beach bag - you know the essentials: sarong, sunglasses, water bottle, book, sunscreen - and start to head out. But then I thought - why put on sunscreen on the beach and get your hands all sandy when I could just do it here? Good idea right? Well, kinda... but not without its problems.

See, I know I do pilates and all that crap - but that has done nothing to increase my flexibility where sunscreen needs it most: I cannot touch the middle of my back. In fact, there is approximately an 8 inch gap when I do the behind the back reach - you know the one: one hand over your shoulder the other, elbow down, hand behind the back one? Yeah, well, try getting sunscreen on when the middle of your back is essentially a no man's zone.

Ooooh, poor choice of words. It definitely is a no man's zone, but that has nothing to do with how unreachable it is, but more to do with there's been no man to touch it in, like forever. Mind you, I'm not against the idea... would probably welcome the attention.....

But I digress.

This morning I realised how much I rely on others for my sunscreen protection. I did the best I could - with the aid of some spray sunscreen and a mirror, I ended up doing a fairly decent job (only have a very small patch of red tonight...). But the whole event made me wish for a better solution; a solution that didn't require the assistance of another human being.

Then it hit me: a spatula. Okay, it didn't actually hit me, but the idea struck me. Okay, it didn't strike me either, but you know what I'm saying.... A spatula. I could spread sunscreen on it, then reach over my shoulder and apply to my back. Brilliant idea!!! I wouldn't necessarily be able to rub it in, but I could kind of smear it and then wait for it to soak in.

Three guesses what I picked up while doing my groceries tonight? First two don't count. (Yeah, I know most people probably own a spatula, but this is me we're talking about.)

As I said before: desperate times....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home