Canadian Down Under

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Canadian athletes poor sports?

The Commonwealth Games that end today, have been hosted by Melbourne this year. Apparently it's been a great success. Well, a great success if you're an Australian. If you're a Canadian? Not so much...

Sporting events televised in Australia are spectacularly more biased to Australian athletes than the bias towards Canadian athletes when televised in Canada. Who'da thunk that was possible?

Unless of course something 'noteworthy' happens. And you know how Canadians are making headlines here in the Commonwealth games? By not showing up to the podium to collect their medals while the anthem plays for the gold medal winners. (However it's not just the bronze and silver medalists who aren't showing up - even a gold medal winner from Canada didn't show up.)

What's going on? When did Canadians become such poor sports? Don't get upset with me calling them poor sports, because that's how it's perceived here - the sports announcer even called them that during one ceremony presentation.

I never thought I'd say this - but it's been pretty tough to admit to being Canadian over the last week....

Am I missing something?

2 Comments:

  • I'd heard that the athlete who didn't show up headed home to see his sick dad. Personally, I think that takes priority!

    By Blogger Mitch, at 2:04 AM  

  • Here's where I'm going to come across as a bitch but bear with me...

    A sick parent should take priority (and having had a sick parent, I do come at this from a certain level of understanding) but once you make the decision to go halfway across the world to compete in an international event - I believe that you should carry through on your commitment and stay for the awards ceremoney when you're in it.

    Having said that - it wasn't just one athlete. Had it been only one athlete, I don't think it wouldn't have been as big a news item

    By Blogger lala, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home