Canadian Down Under

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Making a Difference?

Ever wonder if you're making a difference? Ever wonder if what you do, or what you are doing, is having an impact? a positive one?

Well, I do my best to not think about it much, because it can really give you a mind fuck...but sometimes what you do, hits you smack in the face and you can't help but notice the repercussions of your actions.

Tonight was one of those nights - and I gotta tell you - its given me a inner peacefulness that I'm just sitting here revelling in. So, yes, I believe tonight I made a difference.

Many people have asked me about my involvement in Big Sisters: like why do I do it, do I get anything back from it, but mostly people ask if I make a difference. My answer has always been 'I don't know, but I hope so.' I've always thought that with kids/teenagers, you'll never really know what kind of impact you make until years later - if you ever do. I never volunteered with the thought that I could change the world - or even change one child - but more with the rationale that I had the time, that I ought to give back to my community somehow and that it might be something I could be good at. Then perhaps, if I was lucky, I could make a difference.

The thing I like best about Big Sisters is they embrace the philosophy that just being there is enough. It's not an intrusive program, its about inclusion. Including someone into your life as your friend and hoping the friendship provides that something extra that that child or teen needs, or is looking for. That just by being you, you can provide a positive role model and/or a different way of looking at life.

To date - I believe that is what's been going on with my Little Sister and me - until tonight. Tonight I think I actually made a notable difference. It's a long story - and out of respect for my little sister - I won't go into detail, but let's just say that having an outside influence in the family tonight helped to calm down a particularly unhappy situation. Don't get me wrong - it was nothing disastrous - but a different perspective and a different opinion provided options - options not previously thought of. I normally would not dream of intering, but I was asked to - and with just a very short conversation, we were able to turn everything around.

The funny thing? As I was having my little chat, I was amazed at how much I sounded like my mother. Okay - I confess - I think I was channelling her.... You know - I've always known this - but my mom really had it together. She used some great stuff on us growing up.

So I'm off to bed now, secure and happy in the knowledge that tonight I made a difference.

1 Comments:

  • So you were in contact with the mothership, eh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home