Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lied to

One of the things I can't abide is being lied to. In fact, I make no bones about it as many of my friends have found out. Being lied to once can be forgiven - but it is very clearly expressed how that is simply a no-go for me and then it better never happen again. If you can't trust your friends, then they aren't friends.

In turn I hold myself to the same standard. I don't lie. It's the way I was brought up. I will sometimes soften what I say (I can hear some of you snickering, but it is true) so as not to be too harsh or mean, but I won't lie. Alternatively, if cornered, I just simply won't say anything. (Honesty at the price of all else is my father's legacy....)

Over time I have discovered that it really is a small subset of people who don't lie as part of their everyday life (maybe it's the industry I work in....) but once I believe in someone, that's it. I'm unwavering. My friends support me the same way (see earlier post about reciprocity in friendships...)

Obviously it doesn't make me happy to be lied to, but the thing that really upsets me is when I discover my trust has been misplaced.

That happened today. I've been lied to.

Prior to today, it was kind of nice to know that despite everything, at least this person had acted with integrity.

I got it so wrong and that's so disappointing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home