Canadian Down Under

Friday, June 10, 2005

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

What is it with yoga studios and mirrors?

(FYI - I think I may be on a week long rant about yoga classes, so bear with me.....)

You know, one of the reasons I go to classes is to get in shape but I find it very discouraging to go to classes where I have to spend over an hour looking at myself in a mirror while exercising. It's not motivating. It just makes me think things like:

"I could have sworn my hips weren't that big in my mirror at home"
"how come I don't have rolls of fat but still look huge compared to every other female in this room?"
"how come I don't have rolls of fat but still look huge compared to every other male in this room?"

I've even gone so far as to compare how much spare mat is on either side of my hips compared to how much spare mat other people have. I know, I know - I'm crazy.... obsessive... need help....typically female? The truth is, I'm not overweight - in fact, although I'm not the skinniest I've ever been, I'm fit and fairly lean, but the thing is I'm what you call an hour-glass shape. It's supposed to be the ideal shape, but that's bullshit. Skinny's where its at.

Anyway, I digress....

So about the mirrors. I've solved the problem for the yoga class - I'm never going back. But on my last visit to the Pilates studio I noticed they'd done some upgrades to the room. It used to be that half the class was in front of mirrors while the other half wasn't - but now over 3/4 of the class has mirrors. The horror!!! My usual spot was no longer a sanctuary from my reflection - I'm now either going to have to suck it up and deal with it, cram myself in a corner of the room, or try to find a new Pilates class with no mirrors. Sigh.... what a pain.

I still don't get it though. Why all the mirrors?

I can't be the only one that feels this way....

1 Comments:

  • Hey, you're definately not the only one to feel that way...

    your blog reminds me of why I loved my trip to Australia so much!!! thanks for the compliment and the link.

    By Blogger Mitch, at 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home