Canadian Down Under

Monday, January 30, 2006

I didn't think the world was big enough...

...but there's more than one of me! MANY more!!

A fellow Laura Ryan commented on my blog just last week - just saying hi from the Laura Ryan in the UK - which reminded me of something that happened when I first arrived here in Oz.

It was at my first flat. First flat, first phone line. I called to get it hooked up and had to go through all the 'process' stuff: name, serial number.... The conversation went like this:

Phone Company (PC): Last name?
Me: Ryan

PC: First name?
Me: Laura

PC: Hmmmm. Birthdate?
Me: May 9, 19xx (No, I don't feel like telling you...)

PC: Hmmm.

Long pause.

PC: Middle name?
Me: Jane

Another long pause.

PC: Ever had a phone with us before?
Me: No.
PC: ...in Queensland?
Me: Nope. Definitely not.

PC: Hmmm. Seems like you may have a clone.

Freaky.

I guess the world IS big enough.

4 Comments:

  • You mran, same name AND same date of birth? That IS freaky!

    Congratulations on getting your Aussie citizenship, btw. Does this mean you have dual citizenship now?

    Malaysians who want to be citizens of another country have to give up being Malaysians. My government is jealous like that :-p

    By Blogger Jay, at 4:51 PM  

  • What are the chances of that? BIZARRE!!! The world is very small indeed.

    Re: dual citizenship ... I, too, am curious to know whether you could keep your Canadian citizenship. US laws are a bit schizophrenic. I think during some years (and for some countries), you could do dual citizenship. During other years (and for other countries), you couldn't. Odd, huh?

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 5:18 PM  

  • "Me: May 9, 19xx (No, I don't feel like telling you...)"

    You may consider removing the scan of your citizenship certificate, then, as your year of birth is cleary visible there...

    Just a tip.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

  • Jay - yes I have dual citizenship too.

    Stolie - its one of the few benefits of being from the Commonwealth....

    Kitts - thanks for the heads up. Einstein, I'm not. Evidently... Truth is I don't particularly care if people know how old I am - i just hate writing it down because it makes me think I have to behave like an adult or something. Oh - and I'm too lazy to fix the scan...

    By Blogger lala, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home